Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ahem! A Hem!

My free time is almost at an end. Tomorrow, August 27, I begin my MA in Medieval History at SLU. I’m excited, scared, and all types of anxious. But, I’ll post more about school later.

Since there’s no telling how long it may be before I update again, here’s a little longer post to keep you busy/bored. I spoke in sacrament meeting today, and the following is an epiphany I tried to work into the talk, but it never quite felt right there. So, I post it here for your terror/amusement/insight. It’s still in early rough draft form (I need to edit it so it feels a little bit less like I’m showing off), but you’ll get the idea.

A Little Lesson on Fashion: the Hem
I want to talk about clothes, and how clothes relate to faith. The very clothes I wear are symbols of my faith – not the clothes visible to you – for you know I’m wearing those – but the clothes underneath that you must merely believe I’m currently wearing. Of course, clothes have been representative of the holy priesthood for some time. I am a big fan of ancient history, so please pardon a little historical background to the tradition and symbolism of “The Hem,” in the Bible. The Law of Moses stipulated what all the holders of the priesthood, while in the tabernacle or temple, should [Ex. 28] wear. Among other vestments, priests were told to wear a blue robe and a blue mitre, connected to the robe at the “hem” or “tassel” with a blue string or cord. A mitre is a cap with a flat top: one which is worn by millions of graduates every year – but anciently, the reason for the flat top was to help support the weight of a crown. The symbolism is quite striking: in Hebrew tradition blue is the color of the heavens and represents God’s dominion. The tying of the blue thread to the robes symbolized the connection between the crown that God gives his anointed and the power of the priesthood. In other words, through covenant, the robes of the holy priesthood are inseparably connected to the power of heaven, and keeping that connection where it should be entitles us to the crown of righteousness for which we’ve been anointed (cf. D&C 121:36). In other words, it is nothing less than the right of celestial government: the right to rule and reign in the House of Israel, forever [side note: Israel translates = those who prevail with God]. It may be much more, besides, but that lies outside the scope of this talk.

Centuries after the Law was given, we read (1 Sam 24:4-5) that the young David snuck into the apostate king’s camp in the middle of the night, and cut off the “hem” or “tassel” of Saul – symbolizing that Saul’s divine sanctioned authority to rule and reign in the House of Israel was severed. In Isaiah (22:21-23) the sacred vestments are referred to as the “key of the house of David,” which will be laid on the shoulder – giving him power to open, and none [else] shall shut; and shut and none [else] shall open. The one who wears this connection – this key – upon his shoulder will be fastened “as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father’s house.” [aside: can you think of any robes with a symbolic hem or tassel at the shoulder? those who have ears to hear, let them hear.]

Okay, so right about now (or maybe right after I started talking) you’re probably all thinking, “Okay, so bring it on home! What’s this got to do with faith?” I would answer you, “much.” The prototype and role-model of him who is fastened “as a nail in a sure place” is, as in all other symbols of ultimate righteousness, the Savior, Jesus Christ who had all the authority of his godhood, kept the principles of righteousness, and exercised his priesthood perfectly. The woman with the issue of blood (Matt 9:20. cf, also, Matt 14:36)had faith, not just in the Lord’s anointed – the Messiah; the Christos – but in the authority of the priesthood that was his by divine right, symbolized by the hem ["kraspedon" G2899 κράσπεδον (edge, border, hem, fringe or tassel)] of the Messiah’s robe. Her trust in Christ’s priesthood – manifested by her touching the symbolic garment of the holy priesthood he wore – made her whole. “[Unto] you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings,” wrote Malachi. The Hebrew word for wings, [H3671 פנף] “kānāp,” is exactly the same word used for “hem.” I think it fitting that one possible way to interpret this verse is to say that the Sun of righteousness (i.e., Jesus) will arise with healing in his priesthood authority - and that is something worth having faith in.

5 comments:

Muad'Dib said...

Bam! Good work. Loved it. Feel free to historicize on me anytime.....

WildBound said...

I alwyas enjoy learning some new insights...thanks!

Pulcheria said...

Too bad you didn't have time to include it on Sunday - for those of you who missed the entire talk (and/or didn't know you were mentioned - Rock, Wildman, Tristano), you should request the entire thing- it was as Ahenobarbus' talks are known to be - inspiring and thought provoking. I loved it (and Bree loved hearing her Daddy talk about her in church).

Canyonsrcool said...

So I guess I am requesting a copy of it then? yes I think I am. Good insights, I learned something new.
Thanks

Desertbound said...

Loved the post. Would love a copy of your talk as well.