Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Character Construction

I recently updated my "about me" section in my Facebook account. In case any are interested, here is what I wrote:

The Veneer:
I was an actor and singer in high school, and got into college with an arts scholarship. I served a religious mission in Southern California (the heathens) in 1996-1998. I was married in 1999, and had a daughter in 2004. I graduated from USU, having studied History and Classics. I'm now working toward an MA in Medieval European History at SLU.

The Plywood:
Like most, I've slowly worked at building my persona. I didn't start out this way.

As a child I loved to be by myself as much as with a small group of close friends.

I loved spending time out-of-doors, and wished to become a scientist; particularly an entomologist. I remember this from a very early age.

I am an introvert who has worked very hard to develop the persona of an extravert. Discovering my talent for theatre was one of the turning points in my transformation. Most of the time my persona works well, since my theatrical experience has given me many memorized lines to draw upon. My exercises in improvisation have aided me, also. When my persona falls, and I am exposed as the imposter I am, it is nearly always because it is a scenario I haven't rehearsed in my mind. I spend the next days/weeks/months replaying the situation - not to relive the emotional pain again, and again - rather, to develop witty repartee and dialogue which I will utilize next time a similar scenario arises.

The Frame:
I am discovering more about myself now, and have been for the last few years, than ever before in my life. I've been reaching into my more stage-shy memories to see why I act and think the way I do. I usually find myself revealed as a happy, anxious, semi-fearful child who's developed a very sophisticated and complicated persona in order to combat my anxiety and fear.

The Hinge:
Perhaps this is universal to all, and I will realize in time that my story is simply the story of growing up; a universal tale, applicable to all. When that realization solidifies, I will thank the gods that it took so long for me to be sure. For now, I'm glad I can experience the process of discovering myself.

3 comments:

DreamPacker said...

You are such a GREAT writer! I LOVE reading your stuff. In addition, Reading through your Amazon wish list was pure entertainment. Glad to hear that Bree is getting a sibling. Congrats.

WildBound said...

It's nice to have you back! Online, at least....

Muad'Dib said...

Welcome back! Thanks for the short poem critique....i wish I could write more like that.
I have posted a comment as a response to your comments on my blog. Did you have a counter-argument or were you just curious?