Sunday, September 06, 2009

Proud Daddy Moment

A few months before we abandoned the comforts of hearth, home, kith and kin, Beemer & I had spent quite a lot of time outdoors. I had taken her to a couple Audubon events, and she loved birds. Once, when we were driving through Hyrum to the proverbial nest (i.e., my folk’s house), I spotted an American Kestrel on a power-line. I said, “Beemer! What’s that bird?” She looked at it and said, “A kestrel!” It was a proud moment.

Of course, if it had been a robin or magpie she would probably still have called it a kestrel. She knew that I loved kestrels and was eager to make me happy.

Well, a couple days ago Beemer came up to me with this feather in her fingers.

I asked her what bird she thought it came from and she replied that “it’s mostly red, but with some brown, so it’s from a female cardinal.” Honest. Entirely her own logic & her own words. My eyes misted over. That’s my girl.

6 comments:

Ahenobarbus Textor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pulcheria said...

She was so excited to show you that feather! Love you both

Desertbound said...

My eyes misted over, too:) She is one smart lil' Beemer!

Muad'Dib said...

A FEMALE cardinal, too. Nice. ;)

Mindy said...

As sharp as a tack! Thanks for sharing this story! It's going to be tough for your girls to find husbands who are smart enough for them.

CowboyBob said...

Hmmmm, maybe our school curricula need amending?