Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Little Wild Horse

Stage three of our whirlwind tour of southern San Raphael began on the morning of April 30 when we packed our goods, deconstructed our shelter and drove out of the Valley of the Goblins. Turning North then West we sought the trailhead for Little Wild Horse Canyon, which we found after the road crossed through a recently flooded wash/arroyo/wadi (presumably Little Wild Horse Creek), arrived at the parking lot and threw on our packs.
It was Bree’s first real slot canyon. I think it was also Jan’s, but she’s done it a couple times before. Though I’ve done other slots, it was my first time through it. What a fun little canyon it was! Quite a variety of wall texture – from the long flat sided sections to the majorly twisty-bendy-convoluted.
Bree, of course, paused quite often to play in the sand. That’s okay. This trip was for her. Her parents, however, found unexpected relief when we met Jasper and his dog Boo-boo, with parents in tow. They were from Colorado and were out enjoying the beautiful day. For Bree, lacking N.A.M. as motivation to keep moving, Jasper became a very competent substitute and next thing I knew, Bree and he were walking hand in hand while Jasper “taught” her how to hike, run, jump, et cetera. It was very cute. He shared his treats and toys at our break, just like a pure little gentleman.

We parted ways after the narrowest of the narrows as they went back, and we finished the hike. Bree didn’t last long. I had to carry her back most of the way because she was drifting in and out of consciousness (late nap-time for her). I didn’t mind a bit. She’s still light enough not to be too much of a burden, and I enjoyed her little head on my shoulder. Very cute. Very enjoyable hike.


From Li’l Wild Horse we went pretty much straight home, pausing only at Mom’s CafĂ© (Salina) and REI (SLC). An amusing, whirlwind-tour of a trip. Goblin Valley - not to mention it’s juxtaposed environs - is highly recommended, especially if you’ve got a child, or a rambunctious inner-child, who loves trackless, pathless running, rambling and reveling.

2 comments:

WildBound said...

I so love the pics. Someday, I'll get wildman into that canyon...

Wildman said...

I truly am proud of my nature loving friends.