Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ozark Initiation

I came to a realization a few nights ago. Although I really wanted to pig-out on comfort food, I didn’t need it. Although I was offered several places in which said pigging-out could be carried out, I decided to turn them down. What I really miss is my family and friends and wilderness. I could celebrate Thanksgiving with relative strangers, and thus strengthen budding friendships (and thus have more time to work), OR I could celebrate with established friends & family (fun, but leaving no time to work), OR I could get off my butt and find some wilderness. I opted for the latter. I had a hasty breakfast at 5:30, then drove for about an hour and a half and found myself at the trailhead for a section of the Ozark Trail.

It was lightly snowing, and the stream sang for me. All for me, since I alone owned the trail today. The creek greeted me very closely, as I slipped in my crossing. Fortunately I brought a couple extra pairs of socks, so even that trial has turned into a great memory (on the way back, I took off foot gear and crossed it “North Fork,” style, ala WM). My good camera is in Utah, enjoying the family that I miss, so I had to make do with my cell-phone. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! See you soon.


4 comments:

WildBound said...

That's so awesome. Good for you! I even got teary eyed thinking of having a trail all to myself...in the lightly falling snow...of course, I got teary eyed when I walked out of the Institute Building on campus and it was dark, and softly snowing, and christmas lights...anyway, You're awesome!

Wildman said...

I miss you. The reference to North Fork brought back the ever growing trend to have allergic reactions to posts.

God bless your stout heart my brother.

Pulcheria said...

Of course I'm teary - but just hearing your voice does that! I miss you too! So glad you got a few minutes (or hours)outside and to yourself (no small feat in St. Louis).

Desertbound said...

Sounds like you made the perfect choice. Sniff.